eucalyptus leaves, seed heads from East Lothian coastal path, scrap metal, cochineal dye bath residue on silk organza eucalyptus leaves, crushed cochineal, seed heads from East Lothian coastal path, scrap metal, on silk noile eucalyptus leaves, crushed cochineal, copper nail on silk noile in madder dye bath residue eucalyptus leaves, scrap metal on silk noile eucalyptus leaves, scrap metal on silk organza bonus - variegated dyed natural yarns for weaving All dye pots bottled for one month using India Flint's 'Stuff, Steep and Store' method
I finally got around to opening my eco bundle jars that were wrapped on 16th September. The most colourful results were with the natural yarns I had added. These variegated odds and ends will be great for my next weaving project. From left to right these were dyed with cochineal, eucalyptus, lichen and madder. The protein based materials certainly came out best, and although I am loathe to use silk for ethical reasons, it does take on the colours better than cotton. For this batch, I used eucalyptus leaves with scrap metal on silk noile. This is cotton voile with eucalyptus leaves and scrap metal. Disappointing result for the cochineal on cotton voile. It definitely fared better on the natural wool yarns. I have had better results on cotton when leaving it in the dye bath for only a day or two. After two months the colour has got lost here.
As usual, my camera was kept busy during the trip and I have now completed a Photobook 'Otro Mundo es Posible' combining digital images created from shots taken during my trips in May and July, which can be viewed here: http://www.photobox.co.uk/creation/2012501830
Comments
Post a Comment